HOW AMERICA IS DOING IT DIFFERENTLY

I had the chance to spend over a month in the US the last December and what I can say is that never stops surprising me. It was not my first time there, I have been in the States for one year in 2008 as an exchange student in Michigan.

I remember few things when I was in 2008 in Michigan as an exchange student.  My first day of school: nice pants, a nice shirt and high heels. I got to school and the students were wearing  T-Shirts, a pair of converse and end of story. 

I was wearing shirts, skirts a lot of times and I was asked if there is a special even today, maybe it is my birthday. This was a real cultural shock.

However, being based on my experiences, now I see the culture shock differently.

And this is how American lifestyle transited my latest travel experience:

1. People DO NOT walk. I mean, walk from one side to another of the city. If they see you walking, this means you got lost. Interesting, huh? Tested it myself, however you can see a few of them on the street. 
Driving a car is not my best ability, even if I have a drivers' license.


             This Might be the nicest sidewalk you can get in non-touristy areas. Los Angeles 
                                
2. Biking and transportation! In a lot of cities in Europe going by bike is a normal mean of transportation to school and back, to work and back. We have designed bike lanes, however Los Angeles is still ''working'' on this. I so missed my bike! But, I found a nice lane in Santa Monica.
And that is the moment when you actually miss the London underground (Mind the gap between the train and the platform)

Santa Monica

The happy lady. Romania


3. Food and drinks! Food comes in huge portions. Even breakfast was too big for me. And let's touch a sensitive subject: soups. It is quite difficult to find a soup around the cities. And I mean good soups, not cream one or Chinese. 

And about drinks: you get a refill until you decide to go home. Imagine, you can drink more than 2 liters of Coca-Cola for a price of a cup. I think in Europe they make more money on such drinks than on meals and the restaurants will have a riot to forbid any refills (just assuming). And the refilling policy is not encouraging a healthy lifestyle (just saying).

Also, you go to a restaurant, super hungry because you go when you are hungry, right? And you need to wait even up to 45 minutes to be seated. You are giving a calling device and they will beep you when you can be seated, but you can walk around the area (with an empty stomach for 45 mins)


American breakfast 

 Though, you might not want to miss the funnel cake (the bigger the better lol)
Funnel Cake


4. Cappuccino and coffee! Oh, Lord, this is a luxury in America. The dining places, restaurants do not have a nice cappuccino, like Lavazza style. I could only get one at Starbucks. And about coffee, I am an espresso girl, the big coffee with 80% of H2O is not for me. Of course, coming in refills.

The first stop when I got to London- Costa!

A super creamy cappuccino from Costa. London


5. Washing machines! While Americans spend a lot of money on different devices (cell phones, TVs and so on), nobody seems bothered that they have no washing machine in their own house. For me, as a European is super strange. Even in Romania in the countryside where they have no pavement they have one. Laundry places are the best chance you get. But I admit- the clothes dryers are a bless :))

6. Sport Betting places! Betting takes place in Las Vegas or online. Here, in Romania, we have sport betting places at every corner. You do not find so many bread places comparing with such ''offices''. Though, in California the ''psychic reading'' is like our betting places.
A reading place in Los Angeles 


7. Work and holidays! One time I was unhappy that in Romania we have only 21 days of legal holiday per year, in addition to the state holidays. Now, I feel super happy for myself (sad for Americans) keeping in mind that the corporatist America is giving you ZERO. I can't imagine myself working all year around in a continuous state. What about travel?! And what about the maternal leave?! We have it 2 years around here (Romania).
And imagine that from this January French workers can ignore company emails outside of business hours. It is a legal stuff! Isn't that crazy?

Imagine life without this

8. Distance: my metrical system of understanding what ''long distance is'', is a bit... different. Traveling from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon takes few hours and in 4 hours you can cross the entire country of Moldova (just comparing)

The amazing Grand Canyon view

9. Strange street lights and pedestrian crossing. OK, in Europe we have 3 colors on the street light and that says all. However, in the US you need to read the instructions before crossing (no jokes!) I was about to be hit by a car because the lighting was so confusing. And in some areas, the pedestrian is marked just by a straight line. I was telling to my soon-to be-husband ''no way I am crossing illegally'' and then found out that is LEGAL



 Then nice streetlight for bikers in London

Supposedly, the white line lets you as a pedestrian to cross. LEGALLY 

I would love to read about your cultural exchange, feel free to share them with me or any links of your stories!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOP 3 TRIP PLANNERS FOR YOUR ITINERARY

HOW DID ROMANIA CHANGE THE WORLD?

MARHABA, LET'S GO TO DUBAI!